Saturday, January 17, 2015

What is Reality?


This isn't the first black-and-white image from the books that I've colored myself, but it may be the first that I end up keeping. Followers of the deck will recall what is currently card #20, "Liberation" and the hard time that I had with it. I still can't stand it. All I need to do is come up with one extra card, and I'll take that one out in a heartbeat.

The Wogglebug (known as he prefers by his full name and title, Prof. H.M. Wogglebug, T.E.) is not one of my favorite Oz characters, but you have to admit that he has a compelling story. Once a normal-sized bug crawling across a textbook page, he found himself projected onto a screen in Highly Magnified form by a projector. In Oz, it seems, even images have life and consciousness: and this one escaped from the screen into real life -- much like Buster Keaton's alter-ego in his classic film Sherlock, Jr.

Although his accreditation is purely honorary, he ultimately founded Oz's one institute for Higher Learning, where he is headmaster to this day. Students don't stay long at his school: all education is imparted by means of pills. I'm sure that Timothy Leary would have something to say about that.

Look closely at the "Reward of Merit" for an extra surprise.

-- Frede.
www.ducksoup.me