Friday, January 9, 2015

Beware the Yoop


It's been so very long since I read The Patchwork Girl of Oz that I misremember (or have completely forgotten) many of the details, and am left only with the impression that it was one of the better books in the series. For instance, I have no memory of why The Scarecrow and The Patchwork Girl and Ojo the munchkin boy were traveling through some of the less-explored areas of the country, I only remember that they were... and along the way they encountered Mister Yoop -- a Fierce Bad giant man who had been caged up in a mountainside cave.

I don't even remember if they set him free. It would seem ill-advised if they did. Mister Yoop was, if my memory serves, emphatically NOT a Reformed Character. Seems to me there was a Mrs. Yoop, too...

-- Freder.