Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Game of Life


I think that if you're a fan of Oz, as I obviously am, and a lover of board games, as I am, the item pictured on this card must be the Holy Grail. I love the beautiful lithographed box art, always have. The board itself is a lovely map of Oz, but I don't know what the playing pieces consist of; I just made up some fake dice and cardboard playing pieces and stuck a few of the cards from this very oracle deck in for fun. Games can be a great metaphor for life. They can also be extremely frustrating if you always lose at them. I always lost when my family played, and years later when I played Risk with my late friend Howard, I always lost then, too: that guy was hoodoo with a pair of dice. I'm tellin' ya. The rolls he got were freakin' supernatural. Wherever he is now, maybe he'll roll some fateful dice for me to help make this deck a success!

-- Freder.