Sunday, December 14, 2014

Nostalgia



When a design is as much a pain in the ass as was the last card I posted here, you're grateful when the next one cooperates at least a little bit. This one took some time, but at least it didn't fight me tooth and nail. About the only thing I think that I'm going to change is the title: it should be NOSTALGIA, I think, as this card corresponds to the six of cups in a normal tarot deck.

When I first read The Marvelous Land of Oz, all those years ago, a lifetime ago, the scene that really choked me up was this one: the reunion of The Scarecrow and Tin Woodman (they went their separate ways after the first book, with the Scarecrow ruling the Emerald City and the Tin Woodman becoming the King of the Winkie Country, living in the Tin Castle that they built especially for him). 

If Walter Murch's Return to Oz got anything wrong, it is simply this: it failed to reunite these two in any meaningful way. The Tin Woodman did have a much larger part in the original script, but he proved too expensive and was one of the characters whose part was cut to the bare minimum in the finished film. When we do see him, however, he looks SPECTACULAR: just the way that John R. Neill drew him, and just the way that he lives in our imaginations. 

-- Freder.
www.ducksoup.me